Leaf pick up in the city of Newark, which started on October 20, will run through December 31. The pick ups are made throughout the city between 6 AM and 3 PM, except on weekends and holidays. The Department of Neighborhood and Recreational Services is giving the following tips to residents on removing leaves from your premises:
• Whenever possible, store leaves in a backyard compost bin. This method is preferred to reduce waste at the source.
• Leaves must be placed in a bio-degradable paper bag, which can be purchased from most hardware stores. Do not use plastic bags. Failure to use a bio-degradable paper bag will result in fines and the leaves will not be collected.
• Leaf bags must not contain branches, shrub clippings, or any foreign matter.
• Do not rake or blow leaves into the street. Due to state regulations, all leaves must be bagged in bio-degradable bags and placed at the curb. Failure to comply may result in fines ranging from $100 to a maximum of $1,000.
• Residents wishing to immediately dispose of their leaves may bring the bags to the city recycling depot, located at 62 Frelinghuysen Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 3 PM, until Wednesday, December 31, 2014.
• If a city resident is using a contracted landscaper for lawn maintenance, the landscaper is responsible for disposing of the leaves. Leaves must be placed in bio-degradable bags. Newark residents aged 62 or over showing proper identification can receive up to 15 brown paper biodegradable bags free-of-charge from the City. The bags may be obtained at the City Recycling Office at 62 Frelinghuysen Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 3 PM.